|The Knowledge Management and Innovation Research Centre (KMIRC) of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University is of its kind unique in Hong Kong and Mainland China. It has a core group of well-regarded practitioners and researchers with an established track record in Organizational Learning (OL), Culture and Change, Intellectual Capital Management, Knowledge Audit, Knowledge Systems, and E-Learning. Capabilities and competencies of the KMIRC are further strengthened by the international alliances it has formed with leading practitioners, whom are regarded by many as in the "Hall of Fame" of knowledge management, and renowned research centers worldwide.
The KMIRC's core work falls into three areas - teaching/training, research, and professional services/consultancy. In the area of teaching, the very unique blended online and face-to-face delivered Master of Science in Knowledge Management is the KMIRC's flagship operation. The KMIRC also operates post-graduate diploma and executive short course in knowledge management. Furthermore, numerous customized KM workshops have been designed and delivered for government departments and private enterprises in Hong Kong, Mainland China, Australia, Malaysia and Brunei.
The Centre is actively engaged in various research activities and research projects and the research results have been disseminated through the publications of research papers. It also has participated in various exhibitions and organized seminars and training sessions for various industrial sectors. Among others, professional services and consultancy represent a very active area of the KMIRC. Over the past years, it has undertaken consultancy work in various sectors ranging from public utilities, aviation, government, manufacturing, social work, printing and publishing, as well as healthcare.
Knowledge Business Network Co., Ltd (Collaborating partner of MAKE Award in Mainland China)
Knowledge Business Network co., Ltd. (KBN) in Shenzhen is the partner of KMIRC, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, in launching the Most Admired Knowledge Enterprises (MAKE) Award in Mainland China. KBN is committed to being the most professional knowledge management research and practice organization in Mainland China.
KBN's business is divided into three areas:
1. Knowledge management certification and training: KBN is the Certified training organization of knowledge management engineer. It is the only one authorized by the Education and Examination center of the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology of the People's Republic of China. KBN now has the most perfect knowledge management curriculum system, including courses of certification, corporation training and open classes.
2. Knowledge management research and consulting service: KBN focuses on the research of Chinese enterprises' knowledge management practice, such as knowledge management maturity, the development trend of knowledge management, and knowledge management practice model, and so on. At the same time, KBN provides knowledge management consulting services such as knowledge management strategy planning, knowledge management platform design, and the knowledge management long-time expert service, mainly through benchmarking analysis.
3. Knowledge cloud service: KBN is now exploring the knowledge cloud service business in Mainland China, and is constructing an open knowledge cloud service platform. This platform will supply an online knowledge service based on a search engine, intelligence analysis and data mining. "Knowledge as a service (KAAS)" is the core idea.
Since 2011, KBN has successfully co-organized the MAKE Award in Mainland China, in collaboration with KMIRC of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
History of MAKE Award in Hong Kong and Mainland China
The KMIRC organized the first MAKE study in Hong Kong in 2008. The purpose of this award is not only to acknowledge the commitment in Knowledge Management (KM), but also to bring public recognition to those organizations that have achieved outstanding performance in KM practices. With the continuous support from the Intellectual Property Department of the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, and professional, business and industrial associations, the MAKE award in Hong Kong was successfully organized over the past years.
After the successful launch of the MAKE Award in Hong Kong, the Knowledge Management and Innovation Research Centre, in collaboration with Knowledge Business Network Co. Ltd. in Shenzhen, extended the MAKE study to Mainland China in 2011.
The MAKE Award in Hong Kong and Mainland China has attracted companies from various sectors to join, including government, public utilities, construction, manufacturing, accounting, pharmaceutical and telecommunication, banking & financial, information technology, electronics, brewery, education, hotel & tourism, NGOs, etc.
By participating in the MAKE Award, organizations would benefit from the following:
1. Recognition and Publicity
• The award provides public recognition for the winners with a strong commitment in the implementation of Knowledge Management.
2. Performance Evaluation
• In the process of preparing for submission, it helps the organization to identify its strengths and areas for improvement in Knowledge Management. Furthermore, the internal analysis and external feedback from the MAKE evaluation panel, which consists of the most experienced KM experts, can benefit strategic planning on process improvement of the organization's KM activities.
3. Management Commitment
• This award can raise the level of management's commitment and engagement in good KM practices, as well as boost the confidence of the staff through formal recognition for their efforts and achievements.
The introduction of the MAKE Award in Hong Kong and Mainland China has helped to bring local organizations to the international arena and listed alongside world famous KM organizations. Since the launch of the MAKE Award in 2008, a few organizations in Hong Kong and Mainland China also have been recognized as Asian MAKE winners. These include Arup, Langham Place Hotel, Mongkok, MTR Corporation, Hong Kong Police Force, Hong Kong Productivity Council, Hong Kong and China Gas Co. Ltd. (Towngas) and CCC Heep Woh College from Hong Kong and Baoshan Iron & Steel Co. Ltd., China Merchants Bank, China Merchants Securities Co. Ltd, NetDragon Websoft Inc., Siemens Limited China and Tsingtao Brewery Co. Ltd. from Mainland China.
Judging Criteria and Evaluation Process
A panel of well-known senior business executives and leading knowledge management experts is formed to select the winners of the MAKE Award in Hong Kong and Mainland China. After applying, the organization will go through two rounds of evaluation. In the first round, the panel will assess the KM competence level of the organization against each of the eight knowledge performance dimensions which form the MAKE framework and are the visible drivers of world-class knowledge organizations.
1. Creating an enterprise knowledge-driven culture
2. Developing knowledge workers through senior management leadership
3. Delivering knowledge-based products/services/solutions
4. Maximizing enterprise intellectual capital
5. Creating an environment for collaborative knowledge sharing
6. Creating a learning organization
7. Delivering value based on customer knowledge
8. Transforming enterprise knowledge into shareholder (or societal) value
In the final round, the short-listed organizations will be invited to conduct a case presentation to the panel which will decide the Winner List of the Award.
Schedule of Most Admired Knowledge Enterprise (MAKE) Award 2015 in Hong Kong and Mainland China
- Application Period: 31 March - 29 May 2015 (Hong Kong MAKE Award)
- Application Period: 31 March - 31 May 2015 (Mainland China MAKE Award)
- First Round Evaluation (Shortlisting of organizations by the Panel to enter the second round): June 2015
- Second Round Evaluation (Selected Finalists will be invited to conduct the case presentation to the Panel): July 2015
- Announcement of Hong Kong MAKE Award 2015 Winners: August 2015
- Award Presentation Ceremony: January 2016
Winners of MAKE Award in Hong Kong 2014 (in alphabetical order)
• CCC Heep Woh College
• Hong Kong Red Cross
Winners of MAKE Award in Mainland China 2014 (in alphabetical order)
• Baoshan Iron & Steel Co. Ltd.
• China Merchants Bank
• COFCO Nutrition & Health Research Institute
• Ernst & Young Hua Ming LLP
• Far East Holding Group Co., Ltd.
• Guangzhou Yuexiu Holdings Limited
• PICC Property and Casualty Company Limited
• Tianhua Architecture Planning & Engineering Ltd.
• Tsingtao Brewery Co. Ltd.